- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 5 g yeast (half a packet)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbs sugar
- 1-2 litre oil
- Warm water
- Pour half a cup of warm water and yeast in a jug so it starts bubbling.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and pour the yeast mixture and stir.
- Pour the warm water into the flour mixture gradually, stir until the mixture is soft but not too watery or runny.
- Knead the dough with your hands for about 10 to 15 minutes (don’t skimp on the time to avoid hard magwinya). You can use a mixer if you have one with dough hooks until dough pulls away from the bowl.
- Cover the dough with a cloth or plastic and let it rest for at least 1 hour at room temp.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to avoid sticking. Cut with round or rectangular cutters.
- Fry in hot oil until golden
Picture: aza’s Kitchen