- avocado oil or coconut oil
- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 drumsticks (or more thighs)
- 2 Italian Sausage links (see notes)
- 1 large Vidalia onion
- 3 large bell peppers of various colors (see notes)
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut into quarters or smaller (or potatoes)
- 1 teaspoon (or more) of herbs de provence
- Salt chicken thighs for one hour, leaving out at room temperature if you have time.
- Heat oil in large frying pan. Brown chicken on medium high until the skin is browned. I do this because the skin doesn’t get as crispy in the oven. This will aid in that.
- Clean out pan if this is the pan you are using to roast. A big cast iron braiser, roasting pan, or sheet pan will also work.
- Slice onions, medium thickness about ¼ inch.
- Seed and slice peppers into strips.
- Peel garlic cloves.
- Layer the onions, peppers, chicken. The juice from the chicken will fall into the vegetables.
- Add garlic cloves whole.
- If adding sausage, add in raw sausage links.
- Add turnips.
- Add olives.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 45 -60 minutes until the sausage and onions are caramelized.