- 1 kg Stewing beef
- 4 Small Potatoes, quartered
- 3 Medium Carrots, cut into thick rings
- 1/2 punnet green beans
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 500ml boiling water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, cut into thick rings
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 large green pepper, chopped
- 3 tbsp Tomato sauce
- 2tbsp Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp pure vegetable oil/ olive oil
There’s nothing as perfect, as comforting, as warming and as filling as having this hearty beef and vegetable stew on a cold winter’s night or afternoon for that matter. The flavours in this dish married so well and complimented each other in a manner you savour in every bite. It’s a rustic dish which everybody enjoyed all the more. You can serve this with anything really from sadza to rice to pasta or even have it with some rolls if you wish!
Resources/Equipment You Will Need
- Good sized pot
- Measuring jug
- Wooden spoon
- Chopping board
- Sharp knife
- Get the ingredients you’re going to use ready. These include 1 kg Stewing beef; 4 Small Potatoes, quartered; 3 Medium Carrots, cut into thick rings; 1/2 punnet green beans; 1 chicken stock cube; 500ml boiling water;
1 tsp salt; 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped; 1 small red onion, cut into thick rings; 2 large tomatoes, chopped; 1/4 large green pepper, chopped; 3 tbsp Tomato sauce; 2tbsp Vinegar; 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper and 2 tbsp pure vegetable oil/ olive oil.
- Heat oil in pot. Add your beef, season with salt, freshly ground black pepper and fry until it is browned. Add the onions and garlic. Fry for about 2 minutes then add the tomatoes. Fry for a further 3-4 min or until the tomatoes are cooked.
- Dissolve the stock cube in the boiling water. Give a quick stir until it’s completely dissolved. Pour this water into the pot. Close pot, reduce heat and allow for a gentle simmer until the beef is tender and cooked through.
- Add you potatoes, carrots and green beans. Mix until evenly incorporated in the pot. Add tomato sauce and vinegar. Replace the lid once again and simmer for a further 20 or so minutes or until the vegetables are tender and cooked through.
- Your rustic, hearty beef and vegetable stew is ready.